Eggplant Rollatini – A Low Carb Dinner Option!
Eggplant Rollatini is a delicious Italian dish! Slices of eggplant are filled and rolled. They’re placed in a casserole dish and baked until tender and the cheese has melted.
This dish makes for an easy main dish or even a delicious side.
What is Eggplant Rollatini?
This is the recipe that made me love eggplant and is sometimes known as Eggplant Involtini. This is a dish I learned to make when I took cooking classes in Italy (in an olive grove, so amazing).
Eggplant is filled with a filling and rolled and baked. While many recipes fill with a ricotta spinach filling, we love this cheese and tomato filling seasonings and rolled and this is the recipe I learned while in Italy.
It can be prepared ahead of time and freezes and reheats well.
VEGGIES Eggplant is the star in this dish. Fresh tomatoes add flavor.
MEAT Prosciutto or ham are great in this recipe and add a nice salty flavor.
CHEESE Fresh mozzarella and freshly grated Parmesan cheese bring it all together.
- Eggplant does not need to be peeled for this recipe.
- Cut in thin slices. The eggplant will brown (oxidize) like an avocado would when cut so you’ll want to brown it in the pan.
- Browning the eggplant adds flavor but also allows it to roll easily without breaking.
- If you have thin pieces or small/broken pieces they can be layered together to create more rolls.
How to Make Eggplant Rollatini
These pretty rollups are easy and fun to put together!
- Slice & season eggplant with salt and pepper. Sauté eggplant slices until soft & pliable.
- Layer eggplant with prosciutto/ham, cheese, tomatoes and seasonings (per recipe below).
- Roll & place in a casserole dish over tomato sauce.
- Bake until cheese is melted, garnish with basil. Serve immediately.
We love the Parmesan cheese topping in this recipe! Serve it with Caprese Salad or some Crispy Garlic Roasted Broccoli. Don’t forget the Homemade Garlic Bread!
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and they’ll last about 3 days.
- Reheat in the microwave and add a little salt and pepper to refresh the flavors.
More Eggplant Favorites
Did your family love this Eggplant Rollatini? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!